Facing Point Locks (FPL's)

Report your experience and ask your questions about using the beta version of SigScribe4.

Moderator: RedFred

signalman
Top Link
Top Link

Post by signalman »

In working through the tutorial, I have noticed that SigScribe4's operation of FPL's appears reverse to that of NSWGR practice. I will try to confirm this, but I believe that with the FPL lever 'normal', the point is locked. To unlock the point, the FPL lever must be 'pulled' to the reverse position. The black point lever is then able to be pulled to operate the point. If the point is required locked in the diverging route position, the FPL lever would then be returned to the normal position. SigScribe4 appears reverse to this.
RedFred
Top Link
Top Link

Post by RedFred »

Thanks for this observation, ianm.

I know for a fact that the SigScribe4 orientation is used in Britain but I can't say whether that is exclusively the case. Perhaps others can contribute their knowledge about what is standard on different railways.
Happy training,
RedFred
The MODRATEC Moderator
signalman
Top Link
Top Link

Post by signalman »

Hi all,

Further to my original post, I have since found out that FPL's in NSW signal boxes are locked when in the reverse position. Therefore SigScribe4 is correct in the way FPL's work. (for NSW at least). This differs in ground frames.

If anyone else has more info, every little bit helps.

Cheers,

Ian
signaller

FPL's

Post by signaller »

Hi all budding Lever Pullers
Just to add a bit of trivia, the normal position for FPL levers in a standard NSW signal box frame was in the reverse. This prevented any movement of diverging routes, in particular at junctions. The interlocking slide rods being notched to prevent any unsafe moves thus the correct signal lever applicable to the points could be pulled reversed. The clearance bar that ianm has asked is depressed by the flange of a wheel thus preventing accidental movement of the lever in the signal box frame.

cheers

signaller [/b]
RedFred
Top Link
Top Link

Post by RedFred »

Thanks signaller. Just so we don't get confused with normal (as in how it is usually left) and normal (as in the opposite to reversed), can I see if I've got this right?

A lever which is back in the frame (away from the operator) is defined as being in the 'normal position'. When it is pulled it is in the 'reversed position'.

For an FPL lever, the 'back' or 'normal' position corresponds to the points being unlocked, while the 'pulled' or 'reversed' position corresponds to the points being locked.

However, the usual (normal) practice is to leave FPL levers in the locked (pulled, reversed) position as an aid to safety.
Happy training,
RedFred
The MODRATEC Moderator

Re: Facing Point Locks (FPL's)

Post by Guest »

ianm wrote:... NSWGR practice.... but I believe that with the FPL lever 'normal', the point is locked. To unlock the point, the FPL lever must be 'pulled' to the reverse position. The black point lever is then able to be pulled to operate the point. If the point is required locked in the diverging route position, the FPL lever would then be returned to the normal position....
In the Uk, with the FPL back in the frame (normal) the point is UNLOCKED and the black point lever can be pulled. Then the blue FPL lever would be pulled to lock it.