This is the place to ask and comment about non-signalling railway matters. Admin will split the forum depending on how it grows.

Moderator: RedFred

Atlanta

Post by Atlanta »

Hey Ya'll,

I am missing a section where new member can write something about theirself.

Me I am Ingo from Lübeck in northern Germany and me I am interested in Railway Signalling and Interlocking of the past.

Here in fermany the railway signalling and Interlocking is very interesting and it gave several different systems used here in german spoken countries long time before one german nation was formed.
There before germany does not exist as one nation, it were several couties or free towns of more than 365 german spoken areas in central europe.

Our first railway run from Nuremberg to Fürth in 1835 with the british built 2-2-2 Patentee of George Stephenson in a distance of around 35 Km. The first train was quickly and run shorter than ½ of an hour.
Never before the people moved so fast.

The first german spoken railway country was Bavaria followed by Saxony and Prussia and in later than 1840 more than 200 railway counties and countries existed in german spoken areas.

Some of the unioned together and formed bigger railway administrations.

At prussia it gave before 1870 around 22 own operating railway administrations.

In the year of 1846 around 46 of them established a Club known as VDEV but not all "railway nations" joined up to this club.
In the 1860's 12 foreighn countries were members of this club too.

The German Imperial National State had been established in the year of 1871 after winning the war against france. Several bigger Country Railways were combined inside this national state under the leadership of Caesar Wilhelm I the Prussian King.

The Imperial German National State existed until 1918 when Germany lost World War I.

As german railway epoch 1 is known the period of time between the early beginning in 1835 and the eastablishing of the DRG in 1919/20.

My signalling interests are based upon the first german railway epoch 1 or known as era I, too.

Railway Interlocking systems were built by several inventors and companies, some of them built and sold under license the Saxby & Farmer System, what is in my general focus.

The old Cologne Union Station used Saxby & Farmer Interlocking System onto three Signal Towers with alltogether over 240 Levers before the year of 1884.

For my own Model Railway in 3,5 mm scale of H0 I want have a mechanical Interlocking system.

Well I was surprised that your company still is closed down, so I would maybe build my own by myself, but I need some help or assitance to understand the Saxby & Farmer Interlocking system.

It took long time to understood how the Jüdel (Juedel at Brunswik) System is working.

In germany we have right pointed Semaphore Signals.

In 1892 a new signal standard was created but not all railways used it.
The count of Mecklenburg used own kinds of Semaphores with up to 7 Arms onto one Signal to indicate diverging routes, too.

The officially signal rule allowed in maximum 3 arms in one direction, but it gave the posibilities of signals for two different directions.

Later in a special section I could explain about it if it will be from interest.

With best regards from Germany,

Ya Ingo
Take a ride on L.T.E. = Lübeck Travemünder Eisenbahn (Luebeck Travemouth Railway)
Fictional Prussian Railway in H0 & H0n30 (H0e) of 3.5 mm Scale in the year of 1908.