Announcements, comments and hints about MODRATEC Lever Frame Kits

Moderator: RedFred

signalman
Top Link
Top Link

Mounting the lever frames with locking behind

Post by signalman »

Hi all,

I am in the process of beginning to design my home layout and have been thinking of how I will incorporate the MODRATEC frames into the layout's construction.

My question is:

Could the frame be installed 180 degrees from normal ie with the interlocking/tappets etc coming out from the rear instead of the front.

The reason I ask this is because I would prefer not to have so much space at the front of the levers. My idea is to recess the frames within the front facia of the layout, so if the tappets etc were at the back, this would allow the levers to be more accessible without having too deep a recess. Confused :?: :?:

I am also not too worried about the diagram on the front, as I hope to draw my own and have it mounted on the facia of the layout.

If this is possible, how would it affect the design of the frame and interlocking? Lever 1 is normally at the LH end of the frame, but for me it would have to be at the RH end so when spun around 180 deg, it is on the LH end.

Would I just have to design the interlocking in reverse using SigScribe4?

Cheers,

Ian
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

signalman,

It can be done.

Yes, design using SigScribe4 as if viewing the layout from the other side of the track.

Build the frame according to the instructions and with the standard orientation EXCEPT:

1. reverse the front-to-back order of locking bars in the frame, i.e. place 'A' furthest from the levers, and

2. when marking tappet notches, regard a normal lever as being towards you[, i.e. towards the locking bars - ed], and a reversed lever as being away from you[, i.e. away from the locking bars - ed].

The only thing you may then want to do from a cosmetic point of view is to trim or cover the lever guide screws which project significantly beyond the rear (your front) guide rail.
Last edited by modadmin on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the best from "modadmin"
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
signalman
Top Link
Top Link

Post by signalman »

Thanks for the info.

>> when marking tappet notches, regard a normal lever as being
>> towards you, and a reversed lever as being away from you.

In regards to this, does that mean I have to operate the frame 'in reverse', ie all levers would normally be towards me, or do you mean only when marking out the tappet notches, but for operating, the levers would still be away from me in the 'normal' position (reversed on a standard frame).

If this is not the case, and not knowing exactly how all the interlocking is designed, surely if I've reversed the front-to-back order of the locking bars as suggested, then the tappet notches could also be reversed??

I'm in the process of designing my first interlocking diagram, and will give it a go 'in reverse'. Hopefully any issues can be worked out when I submit the ss4 file for construction.

Cheers,

Ian
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Only while marking the tappets. Remember that in all other respects, you are constructing the frame as per instructions with the locking panel as the front. In operation, your reversed frame will seem normal.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
caedave

Post by caedave »

Simular but different.

I note that the interlocking frame is at 90 deg to the lever so that it operates in a push/pull direct line, therefore my request may not be possible.

I wish the locking frame to be vertical, below the lever frame. This would require bell cranks (which I can make myself) but would there also have to be changes to the two parts of the frame or can they be made up as seperate units.
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

We can supply the interlocking as a separate unit - see Phillip Taylor's article:

http://MODRATEC.com/article06.php

You could certainly make your own mounting arrangement and linking mechanism to suit.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC