shift click

Use this forum to report your experience of, or to ask questions about using SigScribe4 version 1.

Moderator: RedFred

shift click

Post by Guest »

Hi <newuser alert>

just down loaded .... but shift+click is only partially working in the Edit diagram. get the blue squares mostly but click in center nearly always does nothing or clears blues.

SigScribe4 ver 1.1w, version:1.1.3
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_07
IE v6.0.280 sp2
XPhomev2002 sp1
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

It's a guess, but you are probably not holding the shift key down throughout the whole process. Once you release the shift key, all previous clicks are cancelled. The sequence is: 1 - hold down the shift key, 2 - point and click to create the required blue squares, 3 - point and click the magenta square, 4 - release the shift key.
All the best from "modadmin"
Forum Administration
MODRATEC

shift click

Post by Guest »

Hi

Your prompt reply got me thinking (and yes I was pressing shift). So I replaced my wireless keyboard with a wired unit and it now works well.

So I guess the extended shift state is broken at times in the wireless link.

Hmm what to do next?

Does the code have to be so particular about the shift being active all though an operation?
I would have thought it should test shift state on each click.

Dave
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Dave,

Thank you for your thoughts. Please note that the holding of the shift key also prevents the cursor from moving with the mouse away from the location where the track formation is being defined.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC

shift click

Post by Guest »

I switch back to wireless keyboard and shift click does not work.
I guess you mean tough.
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Dave,

My last response related to the issue of why we use the shift mechanism throughout the operation. We certainly don't dismiss as "tough" the concerns of any of our users. Now that you have confirmed that your issue clearly relates to the use of a wireless keyboard (and you are the first to bring this to our attention), we will investigate that further to see if there is a simple fix.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Dave,

At this stage, we can't discover anything which would suggest that SigScribe4 is in any way incompatible with the use of a wireless keyboard.

Perhaps you could try a few things.

1 What happens if you use the right shift key instead of the left?

2 What happens in a word processor if you hold the shift key down while typing a string of characters?

3 What keyboard layout do you have? Is it Shift Z X C ... or Shift \ Z X C ...?

And to anyone else, if you have any experience of using SigScribe4 in conjunction with a wireless keyboard, we'd appreciate your comments.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC

shift click

Post by Guest »

Hi
you asked...
>1 What happens if you use the right shift key instead of the left?
in ss4 either shift still bad

>2 What happens in a word processor if you hold the shift key down
> while typing a string of characters?
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZwhich is what I would expect .

>3 What keyboard layout do you have?
Shift \ Z X C

Dave
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Thanks for that feedback, Dave. It eliminates a number of possibilities.

We have discovered some posts on the net which suggest that other people have had issues similar to those you have experienced. You may like to check out this page:

http://hardware.mcse.ms/printthread.php ... erpage=111

Note particularly the posts of "stamvlo" and "jlb0001". It relates to the Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard. I don't know if that is what you have, but there may be similar issues with your particular model.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC

shift click

Post by Guest »

what a depressing read in hardware.mcse.ms!

My setup is the Compaq Presario XP2200+(AMD), MS Wireless Multimedia keyboard 1.1 with MS wireless optical mouse (it seems the same combo reciever as Wireless Comfort Keyboard), IntelliPoint 5.2 and no DirectX.

Having dusted off the wired KB (but still using the MS wireless mouse), I had a play with ss4 and got to connecting up the levers but my brain fried so I'll play some more later.

But the wireless KB is to stay as we prefer it and have got use to its features. Not sure Sue is going to want 2 KBs around, so the future is uncertain.

The basic issue is still that wireless can be broken. (I know when Sue walks to a point near the wireless roter as the internet goes slow/stop!)
I still wonder at the reasoning for the ss4 code needing an unbroken shift state. It seems logical to me for the shift state to be tested on each mouse down. The shift is a mechanisim to hold the cursor and I found no issue with the cursor.
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Dave,

We would like to help you with a special workaround for your specific situation. Please contact Harold at help@MODRATEC.com.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC

shift click

Post by Guest »

Well an exchange of emails and the modified ss4 kit I got from Harold seems to have done the trick.
A super quick instal and wave the wirless KB near the PC and all is well.

With this special version of 1.1 the issue with the blue squares vanishing but hanging on internally if you move on to another tile, having not shift clicked the magenta square is an irritant and no more.
I cant loose this SW hat... I think the code should be able to detect this state and junk the blues! :-)

Wired KB is back in the MightBeUsefulSomedayEvenFloppyDisksAnd1200kbModems box.

Now I left off playing late with ss4 with a fried brain working out the how of connect levers....
But not tonight as a beer calls.

Many Thanks

Dave
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

We're glad that the temporary fix was helpful.

We've incorporated a mod in version 1.1.5 which should be compatible with your wireless keyboard.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC