facing point locks

Pose your questions and make your observations about signalling practice in the real world of full-sized railways. This forum is now closed. Please use the rail-interlock.com forum instead.

Moderator: RedFred

s_truck

facing point locks

Post by s_truck »

Which way round do facing point locks (FPL) operate??

New South Wales practice is that FPL are released when the lever is pulled over

MODRATEC has the FPL locked when the lever is pulled over

I note that this is the case in Victoria, where McKenzie and Holland frames are generally used

What's the practice elsewhere??
RedFred
Top Link
Top Link

Post by RedFred »

s_truck, this issue has come up previously - initially during the beta testing stage of SigScribe4. You can see what was discussed then in the SigScribe4 1.0.beta forum - facing point locks.
Happy training,
RedFred
The MODRATEC Moderator
mckenzie

Post by mckenzie »

In Victoria they had four methods, "Out both Ways", FPL Reverse locked points Normal or Reverse, "In Both Ways" FPL Normal locked points each way, "Out One Way" FPL Reverse locked points either in Normal or Reverse position, and "In One Way", same deal. I don't beleive there was any set standard, but the most common one was "Out Both Ways". Hope this helps.
ChrisF

Re: facing point locks

Post by ChrisF »

[quote="s_truck"]Which way round do facing point locks (FPL) operate??

New South Wales practice is that FPL are released when the lever is pulled over

MODRATEC has the FPL locked when the lever is pulled over

I note that this is the case in Victoria, where McKenzie and Holland frames are generally used

What's the practice elsewhere??[/quote]

G'day 's_truck' & everyone,

Here in Western Australia a FPL when 'back in the frame' i.e. 'Normal' (away from the Signalman) - meant that the FPL was disengaged, thus enabling the points to be worked.

Of course there is always an exception to any rule and in this instance it is when the Points and FPL are combined in the same lever (half Blue / Half Black), the Points are locked in both directions unless being moved. This was done via use of an escapement crank beside the points themselves.

Cheers and "Line Clear" for now,

ChrisF.