peco points

Add your comments and questions about the mechanical control of model railway signals and points particularly by the WIT (wire-in-tube) method.

Moderator: RedFred

hairyman

peco points

Post by hairyman »

Hi,

Has anyone retrofitted point-WITs to peco points when the points are already installed on the layout?

I ask because i have to do more then 2 dozen points (some as cross overs) and i don't wish to have to remove each one to modify the base of the point unless it is absolutely required

cheers

Aaron
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

It can be done with some care and preparation.

For each set of points:

1 Position the points mid way using a simple wedge between each blade and stock rail (e.g. cocktail stick).

2. Drill a 1.5mm hole through the baseboard using the hole in the tie-bar as a guide.

3. Prepare an 8mm or 5/16" drill such that it is exposed beyond the chuck by exactly the thickness of the baseboard + any track underlay. If the drill bit is too long, place a piece of tube over the bit to act as a suitable stop. Alternatively, drill a hole of the same size in a small piece of timber to act as an additional offset.

4. Carefully drill up from under the points guided by the 1.5mm hole already drilled.

5. With a sharp pointed tool, carefully "dig out" the remaining conical shoulders at the top of the hole. Use a sideways action levering off the bottom of the hole, rather than vertical, to avoid suddenly slipping into the sleepers and tie-bar of the points. If you have installed cork or similar underlay, this final process will be relatively simple.

I hope this helps.
All the best from "modadmin"
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
hairyman

Post by hairyman »

Thanks Harold,

Will the drilling that you discribe include drilling through the metal cover that sits under where the tie-bar is that protects the associated spring that makes the points operate?

cheers

Aaron
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Aaron,

The hole that I am referring to in the tie-bar doesn't have anything to do with metal plates or springs. It is the one through which a point motor or a Point-wit mechanism operating rod fits. What gauge/style of Peco points are you using?
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
hairyman

Post by hairyman »

N Scale, peco setrack (short, medium and long) points. they have a metal plate that sits directly below the point that you would drill to insert the point-WIT rod
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

With peco N gauge, there are holes in each side of the tie-bar where it extends outside the rails - near the "knobs". This is the hole to use for attaching Point-wit.
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
hairyman

Post by hairyman »

bah, why didn't i think about that !! :D

That's a great idea, was getting frustrated with some loco's that i have been repairing and didn't even consider that !

Now i have some more work to do when i have my scheduled holidays soon.

Thank you Harold.

Cheers

Aaron