Java and Windows 7

Use this forum to report your experience of, or to ask questions about using SigScribe4 version 1.

Moderator: RedFred

MajorModeler

Java and Windows 7

Post by MajorModeler »

:?: When I run SigScribe4 Version 1.2.2 through version 1.2.4
under Windows 7, 64 bit, I get a message the variable EX4J_JAVA_HOME is not set.
I have looked for it as a system variable and in the folder where SigScribe4 in installed and runs from. I cannot find it.
Perhaps someoone with Java and Windows 7 expertise can offer some suggestions. Once found, what exactly goes there, especially the last part of the path - java or jre or ???
I had no problems running under Win XP, but that is a 32 bit OS.
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

It may be that the Windows version of SigScribe4 needs a 32-bit version of Java. This should be available from the Java web site.

We'll investigate this further and modify SigScribe4 as appropriate.

And I think the variable is probably EXE4J..., not EX4J...
All the best from "modadmin"
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
MajorModeler

Post by MajorModeler »

You are correct. The variable is EXE4J_JAVA_HOME
modadmin
Site Admin

Post by modadmin »

Currently, SigScribe4 for Windows is deployed as a 32-bit application. The installer will, by default, offer to install the application in c:\Program Files\SigScribe4. For Windows 7 (64-bit), you should specify instead c:\Program Files (x86)\SigScribe4 .

We are working on a 64-bit deployment option.
All the best from "modadmin"
Forum Administration
MODRATEC
MajorModeler

Post by MajorModeler »

Actually, the install directory, according to Microsoft, can be anywhere. The application program together with the operating system figures out whether it is an 32 bit or 64 bit application, and runs appropriately. I have found this to be true for all my other applications. I run a mixture of 32 bit and 64 bit applications.
This java thing, though does have me stumped.
MajorModeler

Post by MajorModeler »

The EXE4J_JAVA_HOME error message is an indication that if the user does, indeed, have Java installed on their system, that what is installed is a 64 bit version.
To run SigScribe4, for now, a 32 bit version of Java is required. Both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions can be installed on the same machine without interference.