Joined: 15 Jan 2004
|Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:14 am Post subject: LEVER NUMBERS
|One of our Lever Frame builders, Ian of ACT, Australia, offers the following information about how he has installed "prototypical-looking" brass lever numbers on the first of his MODRATEC lever frames.
The process is quite simple:
* cut off the required number of 11mm lengths of K&S 7/32" square brass tube (clean all sides of the brass section on fine abrasive before cutting it up)
* clean up ends, inside and out; scribe a line across, 3mm from one end using a piece of brass or other material as a guide for consistency
* affix AM Models NSW Railways etched brass loco numbers (I used spots of cyanoacrylate, applied with a toothpick, but it would be preferable to sweat them on, although the two-digit numbers deterred me from trying this)
* spray all sides of the square section with self-etch black
* with fine emery board, jeweller's file or similar, remove the paint from the front of the numbers
* similarly, work along each edge on the front of the boxes to provide a suggestion of the brass surrounds to the lever identification plates
* the sections will now push onto the levers in a tight sliding fit.
While I left the space below the lever numbers, I did not attempt to replicate the lever names at this scale!
All the best from "modadmin"