LEVER NUMBERS

Announcements, comments and hints about MODRATEC Lever Frame Kits

Moderator: RedFred

modadmin
Site Admin

LEVER NUMBERS

Post by modadmin »

One of our Lever Frame builders, Ian of ACT, Australia, offers the following information about how he has installed "prototypical-looking" brass lever numbers on the first of his MODRATEC lever frames.

The process is quite simple:
  • * cut off the required number of 11mm lengths of K&S 7/32" square brass tube (clean all sides of the brass section on fine abrasive before cutting it up)
    * clean up ends, inside and out; scribe a line across, 3mm from one end using a piece of brass or other material as a guide for consistency
    * affix AM Models NSW Railways etched brass loco numbers (I used spots of cyanoacrylate, applied with a toothpick, but it would be preferable to sweat them on, although the two-digit numbers deterred me from trying this)
    * spray all sides of the square section with self-etch black
    * with fine emery board, jeweller's file or similar, remove the paint from the front of the numbers
    * similarly, work along each edge on the front of the boxes to provide a suggestion of the brass surrounds to the lever identification plates
    * the sections will now push onto the levers in a tight sliding fit.
While I left the space below the lever numbers, I did not attempt to replicate the lever names at this scale!

All the best from "modadmin"
Forum Administration
MODRATEC