MIDLAND PRACTICES

Use this forum to report your experience of, or to ask questions about using SigScribe4 version 1.

Moderator: RedFred

Zoë Topper

MIDLAND PRACTICES

Post by Zoë Topper »

I've just found
your lever frame site,
and downloaded the program.

I'm busy now
working in the plan for my layout,
but have a couple questions.

I model the Midland Railway,
circa 1916,
which makes me wonder about certain things.

1) the Midland didn't use FPL levers,
they had what was called an 'Economic Points Lock'
where the lock and points were worked from a single lever,
so what do I do about that?

2) they used 'fouling bars' on Bay sidings and other placed,
how can I represent those on the locking frame?

3) level crossings were worked by a wheel in the cabin,
do you have an option for this?

Thank you,

Zoë Topper
Harold
Top Link
Top Link

Post by Harold »

Zoë,

To simulate economical points locks, you simply use standard points without toggling the FPL. Use either a black lever or a black/blue lever.

To simulate a Fouling Bar (also known as a Clearance Bar) life is slighlty more complicated. This is a feature we'll add to SigScribe4 soon, but in the meantime it can be done as follows:

1. In the lever frame allocate a black (or black/blue) lever to be associated with the Fouling/Clearance Bar but don't connect it to anything. We'll call this Lever 'F'. [Note: in modern British practice, the lever colour would be blue. Someone might tell us what it would have been for the Midland Railway.]

2. Allocate a black lever for the siding points (including trap points if appropriate) and connect this as normal. We'll call this Lever 'P'.

3. Allocate and connect red levers to the signals associated with the siding. We'll call these Levers 'S1', 'S2' etc.

4. Interlock Lever 'F' with Lever 'P' so that 'P' releases 'F'. To do that, right-click Lever 'F' and select 'Interlock Points'. Now reverse Lever 'P' then right-click it and select 'Include Points'.

5. Define the signal routes which pass over the Fouling/Clearance Bar ('S1', 'S2' etc.). While the path is shown correctly, reverse Lever 'F' then right-click it and select 'Include Divert'.

Level Crossing wheels - MODRATEC does not provide such a device at present, however brown levers do simulate the action of gates locks typically associated with proving and locking level crossings.
All the best
Harold
MODRATEC Help