Intalling lever into the MODRATEC frame

Announcements, comments and hints about MODRATEC Lever Frame Kits

Moderator: RedFred

roger

Intalling lever into the MODRATEC frame

Post by roger »

I have just finished installing 30 levers in the frame for Ken's Crossing. What a fiddly job it is putting the springs and steel balls in place. You were not wrong in the manual when you state that "you need to be in a mood of patient concentration for this step".
I modified Tool 3 by filing a taper as suggested in Step 11 in the manual but I had trouble with my first lever getting the brass tube to stay in place. In my first attempt, the tube slipped off and the steel ball flew off into the ether, never to be seen again. (Just as well you supply a spare!). I then filed the end of Tool 3 almost flat so the shape was concave rather than the constant slope as illustrated in the manual. This was much better. The other problem I had was that I left the front lever guide rail a little too loose. When I moved the lever forward, out sprang the steel ball and spring, both again disappearing never to be seen again. After tighening up the lever guide rail, things went much better. However, for 30 levers, 35 steel balls were supplied and enough spring material for 35 springs, I finished with one spare spring and two spare steel balls - a bit close for comfort. I suggest that a minimal cost, 8 in lieu 7 steel balls should be supplied for 6 levers and enough spring material for 8 lengths.
Now for the actual installation of the tappets and locking bars!.
Rgds
Roger :lol: